Cappadocia is a region in central Turkey that is known for its unique landscape of fairy chimneys, rock formations, and underground cities. It is also home to a thriving pottery tradition that dates back thousands of years.
The terracotta pottery of Cappadocia is made from the red clay that is found in the region. The clay is fired in a kiln at a high temperature, which gives the pottery its characteristic red color and durability.
Cappadocian potters use a variety of techniques to create their pottery, including hand-building, wheel-throwing, and glazing. They produce a wide range of items, including bowls, plates, cups, vases, and figurines.
The pottery of Cappadocia is not only beautiful, but it is also functional. It is often used for everyday purposes, such as eating and drinking. However, it is also prized as a work of art and is often collected by people from all over the world.
If you are looking for a unique and beautiful piece of pottery, then you should consider buying a piece of terracotta from Cappadocia. It is a piece of art that you will cherish for years to come.
Here are some tips for buying terracotta pottery from Cappadocia
- Shop at a reputable dealer. There are many shops in Cappadocia that sell terracotta pottery. Be sure to shop at a reputable dealer who can guarantee the authenticity of the pottery.
- Inspect the pottery carefully. Before you buy any pottery, be sure to inspect it carefully for any cracks or flaws.
- Ask about the firing process. The pottery of Cappadocia is fired in a kiln at a high temperature. This gives the pottery its characteristic red color and durability.
- Negotiate the price. The price of terracotta pottery in Cappadocia is negotiable. Be sure to negotiate the price until you are happy with it.
Here are some places to buy terracotta pottery in Cappadocia
- Avanos is the center of the pottery industry in Cappadocia. There are many shops in Avanos that sell terracotta pottery.
- Göreme. Göreme is a popular tourist destination in Cappadocia. There are many shops in Göreme that sell terracotta pottery.
- Ürgüp. Ürgüp is another popular tourist destination in Cappadocia. There are many shops in Ürgüp that sell terracotta pottery.
Here are some tips for taking care of terracotta pottery
- Avoid using harsh chemicals. Do not use harsh chemicals, such as bleach or ammonia, to clean terracotta pottery. These chemicals can damage the pottery.
- Hand-wash terracotta pottery. Terracotta pottery should be hand-washed with mild soap and water. Do not use a dishwasher.
- Dry terracotta pottery thoroughly. After washing terracotta pottery, be sure to dry it thoroughly. This will prevent the pottery from cracking.
- Store terracotta pottery in a cool, dry place. Terracotta pottery should be stored in a cool, dry place. This will prevent the pottery from cracking or fading.
By following these tips, you can enjoy your terracotta pottery for many years to come.